Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc credibility

From: Sander Pool
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc credibility
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:51:06 -0700

In fairness CAVR has a forum like this one and the author (Pavel) is very
responsive. If I wanted to spend a few $$ on a commercial product I would
consider CAVR.

That said, my company builds a very expensive SAN switch using gcc. Another
company, Juniper, uses gcc as well. Needless to say they are quite
successful. At the same time, a previous company of mine tried to build a
product based on the c++ version of gcc before they were integrated and that
didn't go well. At the time the compiler was not industrial strength. This
is 8 years ago though.

The trap with gcc (and avrgccc) is that it's tempting to upgrade every time
there is a new patch. Don't do that unless there is a compelling reason to.
New patches introduce new bugs and new behaviors.

Test the compiler, examine it's output and build up your confidence this
way. So far on this forum there have been very few real bug reports. That's
rare.

    Sander