FW: [avr-gcc-list] Dumb C question

From: J.C. Wren
Subject: FW: [avr-gcc-list] Dumb C question
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:39:03 -0400

I don't know of a way equivalent to sizeof(), but I usually do it like this

typedef enum
{
   menuItem_zero = 0,
   menuItem_next,
   menuItem_another
   menuItem_MAX
}
menuItem_e

I denote structs with _s, types with _t and enums with _e on the ends.  I
use typedefs for just about everything, since this allows type checking, and
even cooler, switch statements that tell you if you don't check every case
with no default.

I also prefix each enum with the typedef name, since enums are globally
scoped (unlike structs, where the structure element is locally scoped to the
struct definition).  At a glance, this allows me to tell what enum it's a
member of.

And because old ways sometimes die hard, I always initialize the first
element of the enum.  I was taught this by someone who had been bit by a
compiler that started enums at 1 instead of 0 (Dog knows why...), and it
imposes no addition cost.

--John