Re: [avr-gcc-list] stdio.h, stdio.o, io.h, io.o

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] stdio.h, stdio.o, io.h, io.o
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:15:09 -0700 (PDT)

Note: I'm talking about avr-libc from cvs here.

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, address@hidden wrote:

:) Can anybody tell me where to find these files: stdio.h, stdio.o, io.h, io.o
:) I can find the .h files and sometimes the .c file, but the .o files are not
:) there (in avr-gcc installation and libc archives).

In avr-libc: include/avr/io.h

The other files don't exist. You don't get a .o file from a .h file, so
there is not io.o. stdio.h is not supplied since there is not "std" io
path to the user.

:)
:) I guess it's possible to compile the .o file from the .h and .c files...what
:) is the easiest way to do this?

Just #include <avr/io.h> in your .c file. Must of the stuff in io.h is
inline macros and defines.

:) I am looking for these files for porting some code from IAR to avr-gcc.
:) I need them because I need to have "sprintf" and "inp" and "outp" functions

inp() and outp() are supplied via #include <avr/io.h>. They are deprecated
but will not be removed (at least not until after the next stable
release, if ever).

As for sprintf(), you will have to roll your own. I vaguely remember
reading on the list about connecting a serial port behind it for output.
I'm sure if you beg and plead, someone can supply you what you need. ;-)

This is still a WIP, but might be helpful:

  http://freesoftware.fsf.org/download/avr-libc/doc/avr-libc-user-manual/

Ted Roth