RE: [avr-gcc-list] r-engineering the JTAG-ICE protocol

From: J.C. Wren
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] r-engineering the JTAG-ICE protocol
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:44:33 -0400

        The issue will be getting the JTAG ICE to issue sufficiently atomic
commands to determine where one JTAG command picks up, and the other leaves
off.  Obviously, trying to program a 64K file isn't going to be a good idea.
But sending an erase command, determining that, then programming a single
byte should be sufficiently atomic.  Also, most JTAG commands tend to be
clocked out all at once, but a small delay should be able to be seen between
commands.

        I don't think any special hardware should be needed, at least as long as
speed isn't an issue.  A parallel port with a buffer should be plenty, since
JTAG only needs 4 to 6 lines (depending on how RESET is managed).

        --John