Re: [avr-gcc-list] gcrt1.S

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] gcrt1.S
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:43:47 +0200 (MET DST)

Volkmar Dierkes <address@hidden> wrote:

> it seems that I have some problems (of understanding?) with the
> gcrt1.S file. I do not know at which point this file is included and
> so on.

Basically, this file provides for the run-time initialization
functions of the library, i. e. everything from interrupt vectors up
to the point where your main() can be called.  In particular, this
means it's responsible for initializing .bss, and for copying over the
contents of .data (initialized variables) from past the .text segment
into the RAM locations.

See

http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/avr-libc/doc/avr-libc-user-manual/mem_sections.html

for an explanation of the sections.

> But if I want to simulate it in AVRstudio the simulator is looking
> for this file with the path ..\..\..\crt1\gcrt1.S

That's because the avr-libc build system uses relative pathes when
building the library object files, and these pathnames get recorded in
the object files.  It needs to do this since it wants to build four
different versions of each object file in parallel (for the avr2,
avr3, avr4, and avr5 architecture).

Even if it would use absolute pathnames, it would then record the
pathnames of the system that was used to build the library, which must
not be identical to your installation.