Re: [avr-gcc-list] Building entire system on linux

From: Curt Mills, WE7U
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Building entire system on linux
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:08:58 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Gavin Jackson wrote:

> I'd like to switch to a linux (Mandrake 8.2) environment rather
> than Windows. I have limited linux experience but armed with
> enough information I'd like to build all needed files for myself.
> I have downloaded
> avr-libc-20030114cvs.tar.gz
> binutils-030113.tar.bz2
> gcc-core-20030113.tar.bz2
> gcc-g++-20030113.tar.bz2
>
> I'd like to know how I would go about building the files within
> these packages. Where do I copy them to and what do I
> run? I have the development environment installed under linux.
> What else do I need, or where could I find information on how
> to make all files needed and all the options I have.

On the avrfreaks website is a pointer to a script that builds a
gcc-3.02 toolchain on Linux.  I started with that, then tweaked it a
bit for my own purposes.  My local copy of it now builds a gcc-3.3
toolchain.  The original script was written by Reinhard Jessich, and
says it's in the public domain.  Thanks to Reinhard for writing that
in the first place!

You're more than welcome to try it.  Mine doesn't instal g++ (I don't
use that), but it downloads/configures/installs the other three files
you mentiond.  If there's much interest in it, I can put it up on my
ftp site for people to snag.

I'll send it to you via private message.  I'm new to the list and
don't have time right now to check wether it's ok to send scripts/
binaries across the list address.

Curt, WE7U.                             address@hidden
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer