Re: [avr-gcc-list] Fw: [AVR-Chat] Make Your Own JTAGICE box

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Fw: [AVR-Chat] Make Your Own JTAGICE box
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:23:06 -0600

On 23 Apr 2003 at 20:33, Jason Kyle wrote:

> >This is pretty darn awesome. Finally something to do with the m163 I
> >have laying around. Someone going to port this to avrgcc? :-)
>
> The code is most likely copyrighted by Atmel so it's not really above
> board to use it like this, after all the JTAGICE firmware must have
> some value attached to it because the hardware sure isn't worth 300
> bucks.

FYI, apparently there's been some removal of certain threads on AVR
Freaks. The person who said the threads were removed has their email
host the same as the website that shows making your own JTAG ICE. I'm
assuming that the threads were concerning this. Remember that the AVR
Freaks webmaster, Eivind Sivertsen, works for Atmel. So I'm sure that
they're a little sensitive to this.

> A better project would be actually writing the code from
> scratch and using one of the free licences.

IIRC, that's what the FreeICE project was all about. However, Ted
Roth said that he hasn't seen much activity on the project recently.
If anybody wants to help out, that'd be great.

Eric