[avr-gcc-list] Re: bootloader / flash coding / avr

From: Reza Naima
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: bootloader / flash coding / avr
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 18:36:49 -0700

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 11:29:44PM +0000, address@hidden sent me this...

> I'm a little confused. Where do you have your reset vector
> going, to your application or to the bootloader code?

Well, I've tried just about every permuation of everything, and nothing
seems to work.  Here's what I've tried ...

1) main() function with bootloader(), no .bootloader section, and the
reset vector goes to 0x00.  I call bootloader() from main, and this is
the only permuation that worked.

2) main() function with bootloader(), the .bootloader section points to
0x500, I call bootloader() from main(), and reset vector goes to 0x00.
Main works, but calling bootloader() doesn't work.

3) main() function with bootloader(), the .bootloader section points to
0x1e000, I call bootloader() from main(), and reset vector goes to 0x00.
Main works, but calling bootloader() doesn't work.

4) main() function with bootloader(), the .bootloader section points to
0x1e000, and the reset vector goes to 0x1e000.  This doesn't work.

5) Taken bootloader, called it main(), and set the text section
(-tText 0x1e000) of the code to start at 0x1e000.  The reset vector
pointes to 0x1e000.  Thus, all of the code lives there.  This not
only wouldn't boot up, but i couldn't use avarice to connect to to the
process.

I'm going to play around for it some more, but if anyone has any
suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Reza