Re: [avr-gcc-list] Urgent Queries about AVR-GCC

From: Keith Gudger
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Urgent Queries about AVR-GCC
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:08:20 -0700 (PDT)

Just a comment on the IAR compiler...

My code is 16K bytes in GCC, 12K bytes in IAR.

I tracked down the reason, and it's the IAR optimization called
"cross-call optimization".  What's going on is the IAR compiler
agressively pulls together even the smallest chunks of repeated code, and
uses RCALLs to one copy of this code.  It really works (especially with
*big* source files)...
I don't know how hard this would be to add, and I definitely don't know
how to do it.  However, from my perspective it is "low-hanging fruit". (I
need those 4K bytes.)

Keith