Re: [avr-gcc-list] Boot loaders

From: Reza Naima
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Boot loaders
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 03:19:06 -0700

I was able to write bootloader code without modifying the linker script (unless it already knows about '.bootloader').  I used the section attribute to label it in the header file, and used the --section-start gcc parameter.  What I wasn't doing that was causing me trouble was using my avr-objcopy, specifying  the text and data sections, but not the bootlaoder section to be copied to the output file.  If you look in your elf/lst file, is the bootloader code in it?   I'm planning on doing some code cleanup and posting my code... It works fine, but it takes 2 to 3 attemps before it syncs up with the PC-based bootloader code.  I'll try to get it up in the next day or two and post a link to it.

Reza

Larry Barello wrote:
Yeah, I forgot about the linker script modification.  Yuk.  I wish there was a more
straightforward way to do this than hacking the system scripts.  Now to dig around the
archives and find that email detailing how to do this.

Thanks for the reminder.

I reviewed what I am trying to do and I think keeping the vector tables where they
default to makes sense.  My boot code won't use interrupts - just hard loops & polling
for data.  If I change my mind, it is easy enough to put in a partial vector table at
the beginning of my boot code.