Re: [avr-gcc-list] Programming Circuit for AVRDUDE

From: Larry Barello
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Programming Circuit for AVRDUDE
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 16:22:02 -0700

The STK500 has both a serial and a parallel programmer built in.  It is VERY
nice for
recovering the stray CPUs.  For example, I recently made 100 boards of
something and out
of the first 20 boards I programmed, two of the CPU's had the wrong fuse bits
set
(external oscillator).  This is, apparently, from the factory!  I didn't need
the
parallel programmer for that problem since I had the STK500 (built in
oscillator), but
similar things happen where the *only* way to recover is with a proper parallel
programmer.

If you do build the sp12 programmer, the following will add support for the sp12
programmer to Avrdude (add to the avrdude.conf file).  AvrDude is a very nice,
extensible, programmer!

programmer
  id    = "sp12";
  desc  = "Steve Bolt's Programmer";