RE: [avr-gcc-list] Difficulties switching from Mega103 to Mega128

From: Rune Christensen
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Difficulties switching from Mega103 to Mega128
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:32:16 +0200

Hello

I have found the following text from the atmel mega128 datasheet

Address Latch Requirements:
---------------------------

Due to the high-speed operation of the XRAM interface, the address latch
must be
selected with care for system frequencies above 8 MHz @ 4V and 4 MHz @ 2.7V.
When operating at conditions above these frequencies, the typical old style
74HC series
latch becomes inadequate. The External Memory Interface is designed in
compliance to
the 74AHC series latch. However, most latches can be used as long they
comply with
the main timing parameters. The main parameters for the address latch are:
• D to Q propagation delay (tPD).
• Data setup time before G low (tSU).
• Data (address) hold time after G low (TH).
The External Memory Interface is designed to guaranty minimum address hold
time
after G is asserted low of th = 5 ns. Refer to tLAXX_LD/tLLAXX_ST in
“External Data Memory
Timing” Tables 137 through Tables 144 on pages 326 - 328. The D-to-Q
propagation
delay (tPD) must be taken into consideration when calculating the access
time requirement
of the external component. The data setup time before G low (tSU) must not
exceed address valid to ALE low (tAVLLC) minus PCB wiring delay (dependent
on the
capacitive load).

Maybe the address latch could be the problem.

mega103:

one clock period between ALE low and /WR low

mega128:

1/2 clock period between ALE low  and /WR low

Best Regards
Rune Christensen