RE: [avr-gcc-list] using the 43USB355 (was - Using IAR compile d lib

From: Keith Gudger
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] using the 43USB355 (was - Using IAR compile d lib with GCC?)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:14:56 -0700 (PDT)

Bryan:

I'll get to work on the boss & code (in that order :).

What (we think) is nice about our current crop of AVR / USB devices is
that a lot of what others do in hardware is left to firmware.  That gives
us a lot more flexability.  In my chats with other USB chip/firmware
developers, I hear some amazing horror stories about what you cannot /
have to do when most of the stuff is in hardware.  I'm sure the
participants on this list can appreciate this...

There are 2 components of the firmware:  hardware configuration and USB
interrupt / response routines.  Configuring the hardware is easy.  All of
the many interrupt routines to satisfy the USB requirements - that's a lot
of effort.  The code must pass chapter 9 (and chapter 11 for the hub).  To
save code space, our library uses the same routines for the hub and the
function.  That's why there isn't a separate hub and function library.  We
put a lot of effort into using pointers and structures so that we could
reuse the code.

BTW, if you crack open an x-box controller, you'll find the AT43USB355.
Winning that design required a bulletproof library.  That's partly why we
say the USB libraries have been thoroughly checked out.

Keith