[avr-gcc-list] Debug with STK500?

From: Dan Miner
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Debug with STK500?
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:24:10 -0500

I'm new to the AVR architecture but have lots of experience with
other MCUs.  I know that if I'm willing to spend $300 on the
JTAG ICE it will do what I want.  But I'm wondering if there is a
cheaper way to do debugging with ATmega16/ATmega162/Atmega64 parts.

I know that the Atmel tools have a simulator in them, but I'm looking
for a way to use an STK500 and debug real code running in the hardware.
(Like the JTAG ICE will do.)

One more thing - Where can I find information on how to use the Insite
debugger with the STK500?  (If it can be done.)

                                - Dan Miner