Re: [avr-gcc-list] compiler improvments

From: Dmitry K.
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] compiler improvments
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:14:26 +1000

On 9 Jan 2004 16:14 HutchinsonAndy wrote:

> Try -fnew-ra (it might bomb if sign/zero extended are used)
>
> I will look a bit further to see if I can tweak something.
>
> I have been using Butterfly code as a trial. Does anybody have a code size
> for this using standard AVR and Mega 169? I had to drop Winavr to be able
> to try changes to GCC-AVR.

I get Butterfly (thank) from:
   http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/bf_gcc_20031205.zip

Compiler: avr-gcc (GCC) 3.3.2
Libc: avr-libc-1.0.1 (standart installation)

For compilation with option "-fnew-ra" I change sound.c slightly:
add temporary variable with pgm_read_word(pSong + tone).

Result with "-fnew-ra":

   section      size       addr
   .data        0x5e   0x800100
   .text      0x385a        0x0
   .bss         0xa0   0x80015e
   main.hex -- 40857 bytes (CR-LF)

Without "-fnew-ra":

   section      size       addr
   .data        0x5e   0x800100
   .text      0x36f8        0x0
   .bss         0xa0   0x80015e
   main.hex -- 39863 bytes (CR-LF)

Regards.

P.S.  Butterfly's makefile is magnificent.