Re: [avr-gcc-list] ELF to Extented COFF conversion for C++

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] ELF to Extented COFF conversion for C++
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:06:32 +0100 (MET)

"Eric Fu" <address@hidden> wrote:

> However, from GDB menu, there is no selection for either STK500 or
> AVR JTAG ICE, although mentioned in one of Eric Weddington WinAVR
> installation guides, "helper" program AvaRice is required for use
> with JTAG ICE. I just have no idea how.

AVaRICE plugs between GDB and the JTAG ICE.  It talks the JTAG ICE
protocol through a serial port, and the GDB remote protocol through a
TCP port.  It is run as a separate (server) process.

> And I also have trouble to understand "Remote/Serial" for
> establishing a connection to a target board via a serial line in
> GDB. Since without knowing what the Target is, whether the Target
> can support this, how can the debugger work?.

Directly, GDB can only talk across serial lines to devices that can
understand GDB remote protocol.  For example, my FreeBSD system can
talk GDB protocol at kernel level, and by that means allows live
kernel debugging across a serial port (i. e. you've got a development
system where your GDB runs, and another FreeBSD machine which is your
debugging target).

However, GDB can also talk this same protocol across a TCP connection,
and that's the way it is talking to AVaRICE.  (It's also the way it
can talk to SimulAVR.)

The STK500 itself has no debugging support, so you cannot use it for
that purpose.  There's IMHO no opensource support for other Atmel ICEs
than the JTAG ICE.