RE: [avr-gcc-list] Struct problem

From: Brian Cuthie
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Struct problem
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:16:06 -0500

Yeah, but the problem is that he can't dynamically change the buffer size
this way, which is I think what he was trying to do.

Eric, I think you're learning the hard way about the nature of embedded
development, especially when using very small processors with limited
resources. There's often a way you'd *like* to do something, and then
there's the way you end up having to do it to avoid eating up too much
memory.

My advice is that you use fixed sized buffers (as Dave suggests). You can
either make them part of your structs directly (like your original design,
except you'll need to specify the size of the arrays) or you can do as Dave
has and have the memory blocks dynamically assigned to pointers in the
structs. Which makes the most sense depends on what you're really trying to
accomplish, which right now is still somewhat of a mystery.

Good luck.

-brian