RE: [avr-gcc-list] rjmp confusion

From: Dave Hansen
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] rjmp confusion
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:02:00 -0500

From: Simon Han <address@hidden>
[...]
Based on AVR instruction set documentation, rjmp is defined to be "relative jump to an address within PC - 2K + 1 and PC + 2K (words)". Then it says that "for AVR microcontrollers with Program memory not exceeding 4K words this instruction can address the entire memory from EVERY address location". I capitalize the word I am confused about. How can a rjmp instruction located at flash memory 3.5K jump back to flash memory location at 0.5K? This will require rjmp (-3K).

Remember that program memory is measured in bytes, but addressed (in the PC) as words. Therefore, an rjmp at "memory 3.5k" (assume 3584) will be at address 1792, the destination "0.5k" (512) will be ad at address 256, and the rjump will be -1.5k.

HTH,
  -=Dave