Re: [avr-gcc-list] Endianness?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Endianness?
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:59:55 +0100 (MET)

Rick Mann <address@hidden> wrote:

> Where can I find a discussion of avr-libc's endianness?

Since the CPU itself is an 8-bit CPU, there's not much endianess you
could talk about.  The only sign of endianess is if you look at the
pointer registers that form a 16-bit address: the register with the
higher number takes the upper address byte, so I'd say it's little
endian.

If you look into the AVR instruction set reference, the notation looks
like big-endian, but the binary (or ihex) files to send to the ROM
seem to be little-endian, too.