Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVRISP programming error

From: Julius Luukko
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVRISP programming error
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:34:07 +0200

On Thursday 11 March 2004 17:59, harshit suri wrote:
> *however* when i do it as root i am atleast allowed
> access to serial port
> ps: i have tried the usual chmod a+wr /dev/ttyS0 and
> also tried changing owner of /dev/ttyS0 to myself from
> root using chown

Hello,

At least with RedHat Linux 7.3 the way to define hardware access permissions
is using /etc/security/console.perms. This way the permissions are always
changed for the user logged on the console. I have added the following lines
to appropriate sections of  /etc/security/console.perms

# device classes -- these are shell-style globs
<serialcom>=/dev/ttyS[0-1]

# permission definitions
<console>  0660 <serialcom>  0660 root.uucp

I hope this helps with using the serial port as a normal user.

--
D.Sc. Julius Luukko
Laboratory of Control Engineering/Department of Electrical Engineering