[avr-gcc-list] Re: ROM data and far and huge ptrs

From: Niklas Brogden
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: ROM data and far and huge ptrs
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:44:28 +0200

Hi everybody,

New here...

Volkmar wrote:

> Look for the attribute PROGMEM in the avr-libc documentation. With
> this you store the (constant) data directly in flash. But than you
> need the Program space functions like pgm_read_byte().
>
> I think the program space functions and the documentation gives you
> more information for pointers on ROM constants.

Talking about PROGMEM, pgmspace.h etc.

I was having some difficulty addressing arrays of strings in flash-ROM while
using variable indexes on an ATmega8. Found out the problem was already
reported as #13427 in bug reports. I tried having a look att the bug report
but didn't get any wiser as to the current status of this error. So I was
wondering:
a) Is this bug dealt with,
b) What needs to be done, compiled, downloaded to deal with it and
c) Is there some simple solution to this problem that I have missed through
sheer lack of skill?

Otherwise pgmspace seems to be what I need.

\Nik