RE: [avr-gcc-list] WinCVS and WinAVR Conflict

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] WinCVS and WinAVR Conflict
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:09:37 -0700

As a general rule, you definitely do NOT want two different versions of
cygwin1.dll being used.

The 1.3 and 1.5 versions of cygwin stuff is incompatible with each
other, so you'll have a problem there.

If both WinCVS and WinAVR use 1.3 versions of the cygwin1.dll then you
should probably keep the later one and remove the older one. The newer
on needs to be located somewhere where both programs can find it. You
can figure out the version of the cygwin1.dll by bringing up the
properties for it in Explorer, and clicking on the version tab. The
1.3.22 version of the cygwin1.dll will show up having a "File Version"
of 1003.22.0.0

The problem with the cygwin1.dll's is that they use a shared memory
region to share information. Unforntunately, this shared memory region
has the same name regardless of the version of cygwin1.ll being used,
and the two DLL's trample the shared memory region when they're loaded
into memory at the same time.

It is possible to get 1.3 and 1.5 versions of cygwin to coexist, but it
requires patching the dll to change the name of the shared memory
region. There are also a couple of restrictions associated with doing
this, but I've been able to successfully use the technique and have
three different versions of cygwin1.dll being used in our build
environment (some of the compilers we use come with cygwin1.dll, and
most of our developers use the bash shell from cygwin as their normal
shell).

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada

http://cygwin.com/setup.exe.

If I remember well one of the symptoms was non-working avrdude, as long
as there was two cygwin.dll files in the system. (But I did not
investigate any further as I am absolutely lost in Windows world.)

Regards

Vaclav