Re: [avr-gcc-list] Structs in program memory.

From: Svein E. Seldal
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Structs in program memory.
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:36:10 +0200

Christian Ludlam wrote:
On 27 Apr E. Weddington wrote:

Not necessarily; if the compiler is aware of the different address spaces it
can change the generated code to access it correctly. Then it would just be a
case of changing the declaration of a variable - the C code to read it would
be the same.

This has come up several times, but AFAIK nobody's seriously considered
adding this support to gcc (it's probably a lot of work). I think some other
compilers were going to, though - sdcc springs to mind, but it seems the AVR
port is no longer maintained :-/

Yep... The following post to the gcc mailing list is still unresponded:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2004-01/msg01734.html

And its not the first time i've tried. Actually the not the first time around:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-12/msg01033.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-03/msg01422.html

My conclusion is that it seems like the developers have problems comprehending a target that only has a couple of kb's of flash/memory. And to have more than one dataspace, e.g. flash and data, seems also to be an rather seldom feature.

Svein