Re: [avr-gcc-list] Support for ATMega256 and ATMega2560

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Support for ATMega256 and ATMega2560
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 13:25:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Geir Tore Olsen wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> The two new and upcomming devices ATMega256 and ATMega2560 have 256kB
> flash memory. Will avr-gcc cope with this "out of the box" given that
> the device specific header files are in place or will it require
> special handling by the compiler and the libraries?
>
> If so, are anyone working on this at the moment?

There's not much we can do until Atmel releases the data sheets. I just
checked their website and they haven't put them up yet.

Supporting these devices will take a bit of work. We will have to make
changes to most of the tools in the toolchain (binutils, gcc, avr-libc
and others).

Simply adding headers to avr-libc is not sufficient. Also, there's a few
places in avr-libc that use RAMPZ under the assumption that it is either
0 or 1 which will have to be changed.

---
Ted Roth
PGP Key ID: 0x18F846E9