RE: [avr-gcc-list] Jtag ice

From: James Dabbs
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Jtag ice
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:47:21 -0400

> Anyone have problems with the jtagice and the avr butterfly board?
With jtag ice
> plugged in (either in debug or run) about 6 lines of the program
execute (down to
> an PORTB=, I think), then the device resets; if I unplug jtagice,
everything
> *appears* to work normally...

For what it's worth..

I used the JTAG ICE on an ATMega169 board (our own board) and never
could get it working.  I could single-step through code AS LONG AS I
NEVER PAUSED more than 5 seconds or so between lines; otherwise, the
part would just start executing and the ICE would lock up.  I diddled
with termination resistors, ICE speeds, bypass capacitors, versions of
software, GDB, Avrstudio, IAR tools.. Nothing.  Getting the ICE working
with this part was beyond my capability.  I finally got the s/w working
by diddling and probing I/O lines, and finished the project 5 weeks
late.  For the subsequent version, we replaced the AVR with a Phillips
LPC2104 (ARM), and we bought a Nohau JTAG, and this worked OK.  With AVR
projects these days, I don't even attempt using the ICE.  It's on a
shelf in the lab.