Re: [avr-gcc-list] code optimisation

From: Trevor White
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] code optimisation
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:29:38 +0100

Many thanks for all your comments. I have been working on my first full blown project with an AVR and GCC. Before this project I have worked in assembler. C gives many great benefits and I have enjoyed using it. The code I write is readable and my brain is not taken up with assembler coding techniques. The structure of C seems to just allow me to get on with writing code.

The cost of this is that my code seems large and I dont really know how long the code will take. I have to measure it on a scope and toggle port pins. I have used 8k already and now seem to spend time optimizing so I can carry on writing code. This is where I have found that re-writing certain lines seems to help. For example...

   temp = ~temp;
   temp += 1024
I have not tried this but am using it off the top of my head to show abstract ( to me ) code optimization.

   temp = (~(temp) + 1024);

I seem to find things like this above sometimes make better code. Sometimes a switch..case flow control works better than If statements, sometimes it is the other way round. So I was really wondering if there were golden rules and if there were any specific to gcc for avr.

Trev