Re: [avr-gcc-list] compatiblity between gcc, binutils and avr-libcd

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] compatiblity between gcc, binutils and avr-libcd
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:11:53 -0600

Marvin Dickens wrote:

E. Weddington wrote:

Did you check the avr-libc documentation?

Yes. In fact, the avr-libc INSTALL document was the only document
that I found that came close to a clear answer. The version of
avr-libc that I compiled into my tool chain was R1.04 and the INSTALL
document in this version says to use the most current version of binutils which is R2.15, but in the same sentence, says to use R2.13 "When available". It also says to use the most current version of gcc, but in that same sentence says to use R3.33 "When available". Also, the INSTALL document said if you grab avr-libc from cvs, be sure you have autoconf R2.13 and automake 1.4 = or > but, not R1.6. For me, this was
not that big a deal: The lack of clarity only added a few minutes to
compiling a new tool chain. But, a new user/programmer might find this confusing.

Sorry for the confusion. You can always post on the avr-libc-dev mailing list with any specific questions too and they should get answered pretty quick. Disregard the stuff about binutils 2.13 and gcc 3.3.3; use the latest version of these tools.

Regarding uisp, I've been thinking I might like to bang out some code for the stk500 since atmel released some of the protocol (Although, I don't know if what they released is complete...). I downloaded the
specs atmel released and have only taken a quick look at it (Nothing
in depth...).

Also take a look at avrdude:
<http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avrdude>

It already provides support for many parallel programmers, and the stk500 and avrisp serial programmers and it builds and works on Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Windows (where there's a native Win32 version). If you're using the Windows platform then avrdude is included in the WinAVR distribution.

Eric