[avr-gcc-list] Space optimisation for PSTR()

From: Bernard Fouche
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Space optimisation for PSTR()
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:56:39 +0200

Hi there.

It seems that if I use twice the same string in the program thru PSTR(), the
string will be stored twice?

For instance:

fputs_P("blabla",OutStream);

then later in the code:

fputs_P("blabla",OutStream);

"blabla" will be stocked twice in the flash memory. (I'm looking at the .lss
file).

I am right? If so will such a space optimisation be done in the near future
or should I manage my strings myself? (by passing the address of a string if
I re-use it instead of relying on PSTR())

Thanks

   Bernard