[avr-gcc-list] RE: data segment init code & .data size calculations

From: Dafni & Robert Berger
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] RE: data segment init code & .data size calculations
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:55:50 +0300

------------------------------

Joerg Wunsch wrote:

>Just a nit: .bss is not for `locals', but for global/static variables
>that default to the initialization value of 0 (or NULL).

So far I thought that uninitialized data (static/global) go to .bss and
initialized ones go to .data.

Do you mean, that also e.g. static int a=0; goes to bss?

Just for historical reasons: The name BSS cames from an assembly
pseudo-operator in the IBM 7090 machine,
which stood for "block started by symbol"

Regards,

Robert