[avr-gcc-list] C++

From: Ron Kreymborg
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] C++
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:09:06 +1100

I have been experimenting with WinAvr's C++ implementation and I am
pleasantly surprised. There is not a great deal you cannot do. With some
of the bigger AVRs the old bogey of "C++ bloat" has become less of an
issue, and in fact the bigger our programs get the more the advantages
of C++ take over from C.

However, I remember converting a 30K C program to C++ on the MC68332 MRM
using a full blown gcc, thoughtfully replacing my queue code with a
queue<> and seeing the code size jump 100K!

So I would like to propose implementing a subset of libstdc++ that would
be suitable for a micro like the AVR. One feature that comes to mind and
currently missing are pure virtual functions. I do not know enough about
managing a gnu project to start this myself, but I would sure like to
play a part. Those interested could perhaps get together and come up
with an agreed upon subset. Maybe this list could be the place for
initial suggestions, and subsequently the implementers could report from
time to time.

Any interest?

Ron Kreymborg