Re: [avr-gcc-list] agv-gcc with AVR Studio 4

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] agv-gcc with AVR Studio 4
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:53:51 -0600 (CST)

> "David Kelly" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> For those who tuned in late the FreeBSD machine is PII at 450 MHz and
>> XP is P4 at 2 GHz. And be sure to carefully note my opening
>> statement, "It doesn't really matter..." You know you are a geek when
>> you find these things interesting.
>
> I do find them interesting. ;-)  I'm also interested in seeing that
> other people are using my FreeBSD ports...

And "Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!" for the FreeBSD port! With it I
find the most useful XP application I have is PuTTY.exe. That so far I'd
rather use vim than any XP editor. And finally got cvsnt working well
enough to keep my stuff on XP and FreeBSD synced. As long as I can freely
flip between FreeBSD and WinAVR the boss isn't going to complain about
*where* I get the job done.

Was curious as to what was broken about avr-libc under 5.3 so I removed
the BROKEN line from /usr/ports/devel/avr-libc/Makefile and it built
anyway. And sucked in a zillion other things I don't really need. Don't
intend to link against libc but find the documentation, examples, and
include files from avr-libc to be essential. Noticed the BROKEN was
removed from the port this past week so I updated my installation too.

Graham Davies replied off list with the terribly simple obvious path I had
missed in the AVR Studio GUI. Had changed from 4.09 to 4.10 this morning,
started fresh and rediscovered it independently. But probably wouldn't
have without his instructions in the email pipeline. Sometimes we can make
Murphy's Law work *for* us. "Embarrass yourself in public, then figure it
out just before someone tells you."

I kept trying to attach my object code to a project, as AVR Studio seemed
to feel very strongly about projects. Loading my precompiled object code
rather than a project magically resulted in most everything one would
expect of a project, it knew the source files and everything but the
target hardware.