Re: [avr-gcc-list] storing values at a spcified location in FLASH..?

From: Bjarne Laursen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] storing values at a spcified location in FLASH..?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:32:43 +0100

Andy Warner wrote:

There was a recent thread about this on this list, check the
archives for the "Including a binary file as resource" thread.
Using objcopy like your example was discussed, along with
the fact that objcopy helpfully creates symbols with the
start/end/size of the data, you should be able to use those
symbols and let go of exactly _where_ in flash the data ended
up (unless you have a solid reason for having the data nailed down
at a specific flash address.)
I have not tried this yet but I need to put my binary data on fixed location too. (It will eventually be calculatated for each device during production, and the address cannot change each time a bug in the.. eeh a new feature is added to the software). As long as this data will be put at the end of the flash I don't think it is a problem. There are some switches with avr-objcopy that will set the start-address. However the other segments will not be moved, so if they overlap the linker will give an error.

look in the "Including a binary file as resource" thread
and here
http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/manual/html_mono/binutils.html#SEC5

-Bjarne