Re: [avr-gcc-list] COFF/ EXTCOFF: /ccOcaaaa.s not found in symbol table

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] COFF/ EXTCOFF: /ccOcaaaa.s not found in symbol table, ignoring
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:28:39 +0100 (MET)

As Torleif Sandnes <address@hidden> wrote:

>In my experience, avr-gcc removes debug informaton from the output when
>optimization is turned on.

Can you elaborate (like, on an example)?  It's not supposed to remove
debug information, except of course in situations where an entire
variable etc. has been eliminated completely by the optimizer.

> A solution to your problem may be to turn off
>optimization.

That's never a solution, as you're going to debug an entirely
different program then.  Many of the actual bugs in an application
will only become apparent when optimizing.  Even a number of the
warnings depend on the code flow analysis done by the optimizer, so
you won't get warnings e.g. for unused variable when optimization is
turned off.

I always recommend people to get used to debug optimized code, even
though it occasionally really looks queer.