Re: [avr-gcc-list] Gcc branches small comparison.

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Gcc branches small comparison.
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:43:42 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joerg Wunsch" <address@hidden>

>As "David Brown" <address@hidden> wrote:

>>This sort of thing should really be controlled by a flag, since you
>>might want either behaviour.  Calling a routine will result in
>>smaller code *if* it can be used in more than one place in the
>>program, while "unwrapped" multiplications will be faster.

>There already too many flags. ;-) Why not make the distinction between
>-Os and -O2?

That would make sense.  It would probably be best implemented as one of
these "for fine tuning or testing" flags, with the default to "unwrapped"
at -O2 and "function call" at -Os.  I'm guessing that would be easy enough
to implement, since there are lots of other flags that work in that way,
such as for inlining and loop unrolling.

mvh.,

David