RE: [avr-gcc-list] Code Size Causes Crash?

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Code Size Causes Crash?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:23:53 -0800

Hi Ben,

> BTW, I am surprised the compiler is dumb enough not to optimize away
> your sequence of increments and decrements in the example program.
> Constant and copy propagation would eliminate all of this
> code.  Shows you what you're dealing with.

I was curious, and I found that by passing in any -O flag, a sequence of
alternating

        i += 1;
        i -= 1;

is, in fact, optimized away. I would not expect these to be optimized away if
no optimization flags were specified.

My avr-gcc reports itself as being version 3.4.1.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada