Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR, file XXX not found in symbol table, ignoring.

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR, file XXX not found in symbol table, ignoring...
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 07:18:00 -0700

Joerg Wunsch wrote:

"Preben Mikael Bohn" <address@hidden> wrote:

As a courtesy to the user, the GNU assembler
supports the automatic generation of debugging instructions to be
placed into the object file (basically this can only be line number
and file name information, as there's nothing like variable location
or data type information in assembler sources, unless of course you
add this manually again).  This is done by the -gstabs or -gdwarf2
assembler options.
IIRC, the OP's output showed the assembler step with -gstabs and the C compiler had -gdwarf-2. (I don't have the output handy at the moment to verify.) Perhaps this is the problem?

This is also complicated by the fact that GCC wants "-gdwarf-2" and gas wants "-gdwarf2" (minus the hyphen). So some hand-editing of the makefile I think would be necessary.

But I still don't know if changing that would be sufficient to solve the problem. It would be nice if somebody could experiment and find out if this is all that is needed to fix this.

I'm personally only interested in debugging with GDB, so in case
debugging assembler sources doesn't work in GDB, I might really track
that down, and fix it.

Joerg, interestingly Colin tested using GDB with DWARF2 and so far everything seems to work (on C code for the AVR). FYI, I'm setting up the makefile template to default to DWARF2..... but we can discuss that off-list.

Eric