Re: [avr-gcc-list] RFC: ATmega256x and 16-bit function pointers

From: Marek Michalkiewicz
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] RFC: ATmega256x and 16-bit function pointers
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:16:58 +0100

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 08:19:14PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> I have RTL prolog written if that would be any help - it simplifies logic.

That's a general issue with the AVR port - many things could be
rewritten in RTL, like your "movmemhi" work (much appreciated, I've
just committed it in 4.0 and 3.4).  Shifts look like another good
candidate for such rewrite.

Looking into the ATmega256x issues a bit more, I see another problem:
the "indirect_jump" pattern (the manual says it is mandatory).

Not sure what to do with this one - how to make sure all indirect
jump addresses fit in 16 bits too?  I haven't actually seen any
indirect_jump insn generated in real AVR programs yet... on the
other hand, I guess there has to be a reason why it is mandatory.

Marek