AW: AW: [avr-gcc-list] Double desirability

From: Haase Bjoern (PT-BEU/EMT) *
Subject: AW: AW: [avr-gcc-list] Double desirability
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:06:46 +0200

<address@hidden> wrote:

> I have doubts, whether one could succeed in
> realizing similar efficiency with plain C functions.
> However, one might stand chances to succeed when
> using inline assembly.

Hello Bjoern,

Our GCC compiler is supposed to produce really tight
code with option 's' and in many instances it has been
proved that the code produced by GCC is indeed
compact. So why not use 'C' for FP. It will also be
lot more easier to maintain the code.

Nayani

I agree that it would be easier and one possibly should try it. My own
experience with writing fixed-point numerics libraries, however, told me that
it is very difficult to realize similar performance :-( with plain C, but
decent performance when using a lot of inline asm.

Yours,

Björn