[avr-gcc-list] AVR-GCC question

From: James A. Kinnard
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] AVR-GCC question
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 19:24:11 -0400

I first want to say thanks to all those on this list who have contributed to
the development of AVR-GCC.  You've done a fine job.

My question is related to the dreaded "Strings in Flash" issue.  I have read
all of the documentation and most of the postings on this list and I
understand the published techniques available for handling this issue.  My
situation is this: I am porting an existing application (written for the
ImageCraft compiler) which has several HUNDRED string literals ("MyString")
which are largely defined on-the-fly as function arguments.  ImageCraft has
a global compiler option to place these strings in FLASH, as I'm guessing
that IAR does as well from the postings I've read.  The best option that it
seems I have to port this application using AVR-GCC is to use the PSTR(s)
macro around EACH of these string literals in order to force the compiler to
place them into FLASH and ONLY FLASH.  I can define a null PSTR(s) to
maintain backward compatibility with ImageCraft, which I must have.  Is this
the best option I have or is there something in the documentation I have
missed?

Is there a plan to add the 'global string literals in FLASH' option to a
future release of AVR-GCC?

Thanks in advance!

James Kinnard
Adaptive Solutions