Re: [avr-gcc-list] strlen() returns erroneous values

From: Kitts
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] strlen() returns erroneous values
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 00:56:11 +0530

On Sunday 05 Jun 2005 12:09 am IST, you wrote:
> Yes constant strings are copied from ROM to RAM at
> startup and indeed RAM is consumed at this point.
> Therefore is it better to use strings in ROM/FLASH as
> this would save RAM.

Would it be possible to declare a string to be in flash memory? I can
modify my functions to accept strings from flash.

While i know that i can save strings during declaration itself to stay
within flash, can i do the same at the time of the function call?

Something like this...

length = strlen_P(PSTR("some string"));

Sorry for these silly questions. I am not used to this separation of
flash and RAM. My previously used compiler handled flash strings in a
different way.
--
Cheers!
Kitts