Re: [avr-gcc-list] Please have a look at avr-libc patch #3750

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Please have a look at avr-libc patch #3750
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 07:12:21 +0200 (MET DST)

David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:

> As I understand Ted's patch what one gains is control over more than
> one possible FILE for get() and put(). That would be fairly
> important for devices with more than one UART.

Yes, that's the case.  And I must say, the new API is well-thought: by
passing FILE * to the internal backend function, it's easy to add some
additional feature in future releases without an additional API
change, as all that's needed is to stuff the new bit into FILE *.

I tend to release the internal struct __file to the public though
(right now it's completely hidden inside the library implementation).
For the change in question, this would allow the backend functions to
access the additional information inline (as opposed to through one
additional call back into the library that only extracts a pointer),
and it has already been requested to at least make sizeof(struct
__file) public so a malloc()-free allocation scheme for the file
handles could be deployed.