Re: [avr-gcc-list] Support for mega2560/ 2561 - wiki page created

From: Marek Michalkiewicz
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Support for mega2560/ 2561 - wiki page created
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:54:47 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 11:16:59AM -0500, Chip Webb wrote:

> I've started on task 1 already (align functions & labels)
> using the winavr distribution from last February.

Please consider looking into the (IMHO much better than aligning
functions) solution, where indirect jumps/calls go through JMP
instructions placed by the linker in a special section below the
128K barrier (or any 128K-aligned area pointed by EIND, useful
for boot loaders which must fit in a small area at the top).

It scales much better (up to 8M of program memory, which is the
limit of the AVR instruction set - I don't think that will ever
be reached, but 512K or 1M may be possible in the near future
and should then work out of the box, without further changes).

Implementing this needs someone with good knowledge of binutils
internals _and_ some spare time.  Something like this is already
implemented for xstormy16 target, so there is a starting point.

Thanks,
Marek