Re: [avr-gcc-list] Best practice for external variable (newbie-ish quest

From: Matthew Smith
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Best practice for external variable (newbie-ish question)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:54:56 +1030

Hi

> Behaves with potentiometer but not with real sensor? Then I suggest
> studying the analog input circuit from the sensor and consider adding
> filtering.
Sorry - wasn't making myself clear there.  It misbehaves with the pot,
but I can't check with the real sensor as I have no way of generating
enough pressure.  (Blowing in it nearly gave me a hernia just trying to
get a reading; it's a 7 bar sensor...)  I can check the input voltage
with a multimeter anyway.

I'm actually working on a mean value of five samples (or at least the
mean cast as an integer ;-)) to remove glitches.  Haven't got the code
in front of me, but think it's something like the mean reading over 100ms.

I believe that the analogue side is OK - if I use (simulated) pressure
only (timer is not brought into play), it seems to behave, although I'll
do some more thorough testing on that.

Thanks for the debug suggestions - I'll keep those to one side as I may
well be needing them later...

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Work: <http://www.kbc.net.au> | Home: <http://www.mss.cx>

The time here is 12:50 and the temperature outside is 29.3°C; today's
maximum is 37.4°C with a minimum of 12.1°C.  We have had 0.0mm of rain
today, with a total of 0.0mm in the last week.  The wind is currently
due WSW, light breeze, force 2 (6.7mph), gusting to gentle breeze, force
3 (11.4mph).