Re: [avr-gcc-list] AT90CAN128 support

From: Henrik Maier
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AT90CAN128 support
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:07:39 +1000

Ned Konz wrote:

What is needed for AVR-GCC to support the AT90CAN128 () that isn't already provided by the Atmega128 support?

The AT90CAN128 has a completely different register structure and location and for that reason is not binary compatible with the ATmega128. This affects mainly the avr-libc library and your application code rather than the compiler, as the instruction set is identical.

Refer to Atmel's APP note AVR096 which explains the differences:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc4313.pdf

That is, why not just use

-mmcu=atmega128

for the AT90CAN128?

Won't work and you can even kill your MCU by doing this. You are very likely to initialise the peripherals wrong.

That's what I was planning on doing; is there some reason why that wouldn't work? Did I miss an important detail somewhere (uh oh... gotta read the datasheet)?

Always a good idea to study the reference material first.

You might need to supplement avr-libc by adding some register/bit definitions for added CAN hardware or maybe slightly different linker scripts, but this can be done by the user and has no impact on AVR-GCC.

This already has been done a fair while ago and since avr-libc 1.2.5 the AT90CAN128 is properly supported including EEPROM.

Henrik
http://www.proconx.com