[avr-gcc-list] End of program symbol

From: Simon Han
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] End of program symbol
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:16:53 -0700

Hello,

I am working on a simple file system for logging data in program flash. I would like my simple file system uses the flash starting at the end of my program. My question is that whether there is any support for this. Specifically, I need a symbol that defines the end of program so that I can use it as my starting address for the file system.

Looking at ldscripts/avr5.x, I found that _etext is defined at the end of .text section. However, unlike .data section, there is no PROVIDE statement like PROVIDE (__data_end = .) ;

Would this simply be changing "_etext = . ;" to "PROVIDE (_etext = .) ;"?

Since the default linker script does not use PROVIDE, I just want to double check my 'hack' before doing it.

Thank you for any help,
Simon