Re: [avr-gcc-list] Experiences to build avr-toolchain using latest stabl

From: Rolf Magnus
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Experiences to build avr-toolchain using latest stable versions.
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:25:13 +0200

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 14:12, Clemens Koller wrote:

> Hi, Joerg!
>
> Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> > Clemens Koller <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>2a. usually optional: gmp-4.2.1:
> >
> > Supposedly, this (and MPFR) is optional.  The configure only tried to
> > configure with GMP as it found an existing gmp.h file in your
> > installation.  If I read the configure script correctly, --without-gmp
> > should work.  Did you try that?
>
> No, I just installed GMP and MPFR... because I was curious of what
> it is and whether I can need it. :-)

I got curious too. It seems to have something to do with the fortran compiler.
After I installed those two libraries, the build system suddenly tried to
build the fortran compiler. The rest just builds fine without those
libraries.

> >>../gcc-4.1.1/configure  --target=avr \
> >>                        --enable-__cxa_atexit \
> >
> > Curious, what exactly is that for?
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html mentions:
> --enable-__cxa_atexit
> Define if you want to use __cxa_atexit, rather than atexit,
> to register C++ destructors for local statics and global objects.
> This is essential for fully standards-compliant handling of
> destructors, but requires __cxa_atexit in libc. This option is
> currently only available on systems with GNU libc.

Well, you are not using GNU libc.

> >>4a. uisp-20050207:
> >
> > AFAICT, UISP is no longer maintained.  I suggest dropping that in
> > favour of AVRDUDE.
>
> Jep... I just couldn't decide of which one I am going to use more.

Well, avrdude is to be preferred. Newer devices probably won't be supported by
uisp.