Re: [avr-gcc-list] How can I use external flash memory?

From: Anton Erasmus
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How can I use external flash memory?
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:55:52 +0200

Hi,

The only way to add "program" memory to an AVR is if you have some sort of
interpreter
which can execute from data memory.  Your actual application hence runs in the
internal
flash, and "executes" the user program in data memory. This data memory can be
serial,
parallel or even directly from a serial link or other comms link. This might
sound silly, but the
AVR is actually quite fast enough to run interpreted code at a very reasonable
speed.
Look at http://projects.cappels.org/ for a BASIC interpreter for the AVR.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus