RE: [avr-gcc-list] Installing WinAVR 20070122 broke older3.4.5install?

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Installing WinAVR 20070122 broke older3.4.5install?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:37:22 -0700

I agree with Joerg. It is safe to install WinAVR. No there is no install
bug, per se. The issue is with, what I would call, "advanced users" who need
to have multiple installations of WinAVR of different versions. The current
installer does things that inhibit the ease of doing this. The current
installer needs to be modified to accommodate these needs.

> Also, There has been no formal announcement of new releases
> for the last two releases - will this be the norm now?

*sigh* No, it won't be the norm. What I need to put in place is a good
"release candidate" process. Many times now a WinAVR "release" will go out
and a user will end up finding a major bug in something. I don't want to
have a buggy release sitting out there, so I pull it, fix the issue, and
re-issue another release. Then I need to see if there is another issue
before I can say that this release is ok. This is what happened with
20070101 and 20070122. The first was buggy and I pulled it and replaced it
with 20070122. So this just needs to go through a "release candidate"
process.

It may be belated, but I'll go and formally announce the release...

Eric Weddington