Re: [avr-gcc-list] Warnings with virtual methods in avr-g++

From: Gervasio Varela
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Warnings with virtual methods in avr-g++
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:18:59 +0100

Hello,

I expect that this error message stems from the assembler. Try to compile the sources with -S and I expect that you won't see this error.

I expect that the virtual tables are aligned on a 4-byte boundary (as usually is useful for 32 bit systems).

Bjoern.

Thanks for your time Bjoern, I tried with -S option, but the warning continue tu appear:

avr-g++ -S ieee1451dot1/types/ObjectTag.cc
ieee1451dot1/types/ObjectTag.h:20: warning: alignment of 'ieee1451dot1::types::ObjectTag::_ZTVN12ieee1451dot15types9ObjectTagE' is greater than maximum object file alignment.  Using 1

Sorry, that's a known issue.  Have it still in the latest 4.1.x build
on my unix.  I think the problem is due to the 8-bit nature of the
avr.  I have been getting it for several years, with no bugs traceable
to it, so it appears harmless.  There is no c++ maintainer for avr-g++
currently, so it should persist...

Eric/Joerg/et.al : seeing as I now have a functional freebsd system
and a current build of avr-g++, so I could potentially test & fix,
does anyone have a pointer (no pun intended) to where in the code one
might start looking for that 'bug'?

Steve

These are good news :).  It's good to know that the warnings seems to not  produce collateral problems. In my tests, my software seems to run run well too.

Thanks to all.
--
#    Gervasio Varela                               #