Re: [avr-gcc-list] Question about code size

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Question about code size
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:11:57 -0800

Hi Eric,

> Aside: I've just moved my development platform from Windows to linux.
> Where would I go to get the latest patches for gcc/binutils/et al.?
>
> I'm currently using Marc Bodmer's build_avr_toolchain.sh script which
> is the latest version I've found so far. It's using gcc-4.2-20060819

As long as you don't mind playing with fire. ;-)

Well, I'd like to start tracking something recent, and now that I have
linux, it makes building all of this stuff much easier.

So, I'd like to at least have the releases that match the WinAVR
releases. That way I can at least reproduce those setups. Most of the
people that use my code typically use it from a WinAVR toolchain.

Gcc-4.2-20060819 is a *snapshot* of a development branch, i.e. it's not
release yet. And not only that, it's an old snapshot from August of last
year. The GCC project will be coming out with the first release candidate of
4.2 shortly. I would recommend that you use a released version such as
4.1.2, or wait until 4.2.0 is release, which I would guess would be sometime
in the next few weeks. If you really want to try the bleeding edge, then at
least use a more recent snapshot of 4.2.

Thanks - I'm still kind of feeling my way around. My AVR assembler
knowledge is almost non-existent, but my C knowledge is quite strong
(been programming in C for almost 20 years).

I've been using gcc toolchains for almost as long (started back when
the 16 MHz 386 was considered the new kid on the block), but never
went beyond using them just as tools.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada